Call for Nominations: 2022 UWLN Awards
January 3 @ 8:00 am - January 31 @ 5:00 pm EST
The Urban Waters Learning Network (UWLN) Awards, sponsored by the U.S. EPA, celebrate Learning Network members making significant achievements toward improving their urban waterways and revitalizing the neighborhoods around them. These members embody the spirit and value of the UWLN and exemplify the UWLN’s goal of providing peer-to-peer support, solving challenges through collaboration, and sharing. Award recipients are chosen by a selection committee chaired by River Network and Groundwork USA, the UWLN Coordinators. EPA may provide technical clarity on the award categories, but will not be on the selection panel.
You may nominate yourself, a colleague, or an organization. Individuals or organizations are eligible for nomination if they meet at least one of the following requirements:
- They are active in the UWLN’s online community
- They are past or current EPA Urban Waters Small Grant, Five Star, or Environmental Justice Small Grant recipients
- They are affiliated with an Urban Waters Federal Partnership location or involved in a community-based project with an Urban Waters member
- They have participated in an Urban Waters Learning Forum, the Urban Waters Delegation, or other UWLN training opportunity
Individuals and organizations that received an award in 2021 are not eligible for nomination. Federal employees and agencies are not eligible to win but may submit a nomination. Award winners are required to attend the award ceremony at the Urban Waters Learning Forum event, which will take place as part of River Rally in Washington, DC, Jun 4-7, 2022.
Award Descriptions (find more information about each here)
- Learning Network Signature Award (one award/year, limited to individuals)
- Learning Network Expert Award (up to 3 awards/year, awarded to individuals and organizations): Categories include: Green Infrastructure & Stormwater, Youth Leadership, Environmental Justice, Equity & Inclusion, Job Training, Environmental Education, Water Quality & Monitoring
Award recipients are selected by a committee chaired by the UWLN Coordinators – River Network and Groundwork USA. EPA staff may provide technical clarity on the topic areas when necessary and appropriate, but are not members of the selection committee.
Awards and Prizes
Each winner of a 2022 Urban Waters Learning Network Award will receive:
- Financial support for one individual to attend the Urban Waters Learning Forum in June 2022, where they present their work and accept the award.
- Professional support for capacity-building, communications, and/or design services or programs in the amount of $6,000 awarded to the awardee’s organization.
- Late Feb – Winners notified (allows time to register for Rally and, for those not selected, to apply for scholarships)
- Tues, Mar 15 – Scholarship applications due to attend River Rally 2022
- June 4-7 – River Rally 2022
How to Enter
Submit a Nomination Form with a Nomination Support Letter (use the link to the Web Entry Form) by Mon, Jan 31, 2022. Indicate whether your nomination is for a Signature Award or an Expert Award (descriptions above). Self-nominations are accepted.